Monday, August 8, 2011

Ragnar 2011

I had a blast at Ragnar this year! I wasn't nearly as anxious as last year and the people in my van were fun. I was the second runner which was a total of 13.3 miles (Leg #1: 6.7, Leg #2: 3.0, Leg #3: 3.6), which is one of the shorter legs and probably another reason why I wasn't as nervous or sore.

This picture was taken at our office before we left for Logan.

Our start time was 5:00 a.m.! And it was freezing! These 2 pictures kind of show the 45 degree weather, but the wind was what made it so cold.
This is my first run and yes my eyes are closed. I do not have any good pictures of me running this year. Because of this I came up with 5 Fun Reasons that shows the Ragnar culture and what makes people run this crazy relay.

Fun Reason #1: It's a relay!
Relays are fun because you have people cheering you on during your whole run and you get a burst of excitement at the end of each run because you have finished another leg. The next two pictures are examples of what exchanges look like. There is a slap bracelet that is passed at each exchange before the next runner is sent off.


Fun Reason #2: The beautiful scenery
These pictures don't do it justice, but the views are amazing which always gives motivation while running.



Fun Reason #3: You get to know your vanmates (maybe too well)
As you sit in the van for two days it's hard to decide which bodily need supersedes the others: sleep, hunger, or going to the bathroom. Whichever it is, jokes are constant as you get to know each other.
This picture was taken the last day and you can start to see how worn out we are, ha ha.
Fun Reason #4: The costumes
These 2 pictures are just some of the many. Barrett saw a team where each runner represented different sporting events: one carrying a full surf board, another in a kayak jacket carrying a paddle, and another did all his runs on cross country skis!

Fun Reason #5: The sayings on the cars
(No explanation needed)

Sadly, Barrett did not take any pictures, but I did get a copy of one picture from someone else. Barrett ran the same leg that we did last year so he ran 18.1 miles.


And finally. For those who have run Ragnar, or for those who have time to watch a funny video, you will get a kick out of this: Do you want to run a relay race

No comments: