Monday, June 16, 2014

Barrett goes to India

Right after my sister left Baltimore, Barrett asked if he could go to India for a "few days" to do more testing with his global health device. They were giving their team the opportunity for someone to go, which was great so they could get more feedback for their device. I figured a few days wasn't that big of a deal and he should definitely go. Well, a "few days" turned into 6, so I said that's fine as long as you make it back so I can go to the General Women's Broadcast since it was the first one with girls included! Then the plane tickets were bought and his flight didn't come in until Sunday morning! What?! Not only are you now gone 8 days, I can't go to the broadcast unless I either take Lily (keep in mind that there was a dinner beforehand with a 30+ minute drive both ways) or find someone to watch her late and then have to go pick her up late and put her to bed... Yes, sadly, a few tears were shed, but I decided it wasn't worth it to be depressed about it. We knew what this program was going to be like and I would figure out the broadcast or watch at home. (By the way, in no way was the longer trip Barrett's fault. He didn't want to be gone that long either. I definitely wasn't mad at him, just sad about the length) I was a little nervous about being alone for that long so I started making my schedule busy. Barrett left and then I had one of the greatest blessings of the year. My family knew I was nervous and offered to pray for me. The strength I felt while he was gone was tangible! Events, service opportunities, and friends came out of the woodwork and I had an amazing week. Probably one of the happiest weeks because of all the people I had contact with. Then to finish it off I decided to stay home during the broadcast. I put Lily to sleep, got in my pajamas, and watched the most amazing women's broadcast I have ever participated in. I ended up feeling grateful I had stayed home where I could cry and ponder alone at the messages. I felt incredibly grateful for the prayers and the willingness of others to hangout with me when they knew I was alone.

Sadly, Barrett's week didn't go as well. He got sick in India and felt pretty crappy and homesick while there. But he worked hard and did what he needed to. Here are a few pictures from his trip. I don't think I will do the explanations justice, but the pictures are worth sharing.

Here is a picture of Barrett's device: an inexpensive fetal heart rate monitor for developing countries.

They didn't have much time to sightsee on this trip like they did on the last one. They worked all day, every day and he didn't get any pictures in the hospital. But one thing they were able to see was the Victoria Memorial, which looks beautiful to me.







A picture of the crazy, no lanes, driving in India.

On their way home they had a long layover in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and were able to see the Burj Kahlifa, which is the tallest building in the world.


They happened to be there during a color festival so they saw some amazing lights and fountain shows.


Barrett also mentioned that there were nice cars everywhere. This must have been some of his favorites.


And while Barrett was off in India, Lily went to nursery for the first time! I didn't think she would care about going, and I was right. When I walked her into the room, the first thing she did was find a teapot in this bin and start playing.

Then she found her friends, Cohen and Maya and was content.

I really wanted to just sit and watch her. It's funny how you are with them 24/7, and yet you still want to watch how they are when you're not around. One of our friends snuck in and took this picture for me so I could see her. Look how cute! Sitting there waiting for her snack! I can't believe how fast she is growing up.

No comments: