Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Halloween in Norway

I don't think I realized how much I like holidays. It breaks up the mundane and it's really fun to celebrate with Lily. I can't wait until we have a house (and our stuff) so I can decorate more. I was a little worried that we wouldn't be able to celebrate much here since it's an American holiday. But I found out that it gets more and more popular here every year. And my landlady said she passed out candy to kids walking around the neighborhood for the last couple of years so I thought we'd give it a try.
Lily's Halloween outfit :)
Pointing out each of the witch items on her shirt.
I got some great poses, which were mostly blurry, ha ha. Toddlers can't hold still.

Carrie invited us over in the morning to decorate some Halloween cupcakes.


 Her mom brought a Halloween funfetti mix from the States. And if you look closely at the green cupcake you can see the Christmas sprinkles. No Halloween sprinkles in Norway. Yet.

And then after dinner we practiced Norwegian "Trick-or-treat", which is "Knask-eller-knep" Here's a video of Lily saying it.

She got her princess dress and "tiaria" and we were off to trick-or-treat.
 One nice thing about it getting dark here so early is that you don't have to wait until late to start going out. This is how dark it was at 6:00.
 In fact, it was so dark I couldn't get any good pictures. But she looked adorable! And was darling walking around with her bag, which got so heavy it dragged on the ground. But she wouldn't let me carry it for her. And she even attempted "Knask-eller-knep" and would say "Takk" after they gave her the candy. There were quite a few groups of children out. It didn't really feel different for us than usual. And a perfect close-together neighborhood for a toddler to walk around for a short time.


 Eating the candy after. She cried over candy the next few days everytime we told she'd had enough. The growing up has started.
She wore her princess dress for the next few days and still occasionally asks to put it on. Love this age!

No comments: