Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Too dang hot!

One of the minuses about living on the top floor with no insulation, only small wall units for cool air in the bedrooms and living room, and large windows facing the sun in the afternoon... is the heat. And it was the worst in the kitchen because there was no window unit in there and it was separate from the rest of house. Who wants to cook when you're dripping with sweat?? It became miserable trying to cook (with frequent breaks to stand in front of the cooler in the living room) and then sit in the, also uncooled, dining room to eat the dinner. Some of our friends loaned us their window unit they weren't using; but our windows were too big and we didn't want it falling 16 floors. I kept begging Barrett to make it work somehow, but he said it just wouldn't fit. Finally, after continually pestering I reminded him that he was an engineer (little ego boost :)) and that he loved finding solutions to things like this and if he actually thought about it I knew he could figure it out. Within minutes he was walking around the house looking for supplies. I laughed, happy that I had finally convinced him to make the kitchen bearable for me. And this is the redneck solution he figured out.

I didn't care what it looked like. I could cook again without dying.

Sadly, the only thing comparable to the suffocating summer heat in our apartment was the increasing cold in the winter. I started leaving the hairdryer plugged in in the living room so when it got too cold Lily and I would cover ourselves in a blanket and turn it on until we warmed up.


After our extremely high bill in our still freezing apartment, we decided to move apartments after getting back after Christmas. So at the beginning of January we moved to the 4th floor. It was SO worth it.  Not only is it well insulated, but it has carpet throughout. The city view was pretty, but the even temperature is better. Here is a picture to document a normal morning bundled up.

We decided maybe we shouldn't look so happy about being cold so here is how we really felt, ha ha.

A few funny pictures of Lily while moving. It's a little harder moving with a 1-year-old. 




No comments: