As I referred to in my last blog post, to say we were
getting anxious for Oliver to come would be an understatement. In January I was
having such frequent Braxton Hicks contractions that I went to the hospital.
Everything seemed okay with the baby, but they found that my cervix had
shortened. They gave me a steroid shot to help with his lung development, a
pill to stop the contractions and admitted me to the hospital until the
contractions stopped and I felt comfortable to come home. That was two months before
his due date. Everything went back to normal, but I had contractions all the
time after this. Plus, my original due date was March 6 and they moved it to
March 15; another set-up that he would come early. Then, the weekend before he
came I had a night where I was tracking contractions at 5-7 minutes apart for a
few hours, then fell asleep and woke up with nothing. Barrett had packed the
bags, which sat around the house as a reminder for the next week. As a result
of all this I had a lot of ups and downs. The couple of days before his due
date and the actual due date were especially hard. The emotions aren’t very
rational because you know the baby has to come eventually, but you want it to
be NOW. And you also don’t have any idea how many more days you have to occupy
yourself and wait for more questions and people checking in, plus the
subconscious nervousness that you will go long enough to have to be induced.
Now we will always say he was born 3 days after his due date, and if we had
known that at the time it wouldn’t have seemed too bad, but in the moment you have
no idea when that end date will be. When the actual due date passed I was a
little more relaxed. The due date really just sets up an expectation, when in
reality two weeks before AND two weeks after the “estimated date” is perfectly
normal. I should have known not to expect to go early since Lily was born on
her due date, when I was progressing weeks in advance before her as well. Anyway,
we had additional discovery the day he was born that made us even more adamant
to get the birth started. In Norway the husband automatically gets 10 days off,
and with the weekends it equals two full weeks at home. (I don’t know why this
isn’t the case in America and everywhere else) The Easter holiday is also long
here, and everyone gets the Thursday, Friday, and Monday off around Easter. We
knew this and originally thought Barrett would probably be back to work by
then…but then we realized that if his leave and Easter holiday overlapped he
would miss out on the extra days. His leave wouldn’t be postponed until after
the holiday, it would overlap and he would just lose the days. If Oliver wasn’t
born THE day he was born then we would have started losing days.
I’m taking a small detour to add a tender mercy to this
story. The last week/few days before Oliver’s due date I prayed often that my
consistent contractions would turn into labor, sooner rather than later J. We were trying all
the old wives tales to push the contractions over the edge. I continued to say
pleadingly in my head “Be merciful God. We’re ready for this baby to come.” You
know that God sees the whole picture and there is always a plan in His timing,
but I was persistent in my asking for it to happen now. Once Oliver was here we
realized that the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. If he had come one day later we would have started
losing days, but instead Barrett’s leave connected to the Easter holiday time
off, so including the weekends Barrett had a total of 19 days at home with us.
Since we didn’t have family around this came as such a blessing. I was praying
for God to be merciful, and really the merciful thing was for him to come later
so I could have help for as long as possible J.
I know God does what’s best for me.
Anyway, back to the story, I talked to my belly all the time
telling Oliver we ready for him, ate spicy food, I visualized being in labor
and holding the baby, I did several fear releases in case my body was
responding to some latent fears, etc., etc. So when we realized that we had to
have the baby THAT day I was more motivated again. I was having regular
contractions all day (again) on March 19th. I walked in the morning and when Barrett got home
from work we walked and walked again.
Our after-diner walk in circles around this grassy area.
The contractions seemed a little stronger
after dinner so I started tracking them casually as we watched a show. I tried
not to get my hopes up because this had happened so many times before and also became
a little discouraged when they didn’t seem to get closer together. A little
after 9:00p.m. I went to the bathroom and my water finally broke. You hear so
many stories of the water breaking, and what everyone says is true. At first
you question if that’s what really happened. I yelled to Barrett from the
toilet “I think my water just broke.” He tried to get me to be a little more
confident. “Well, I don’t think that was pee…” After a few more minutes I knew
there was too much liquid to be anything else. The process started. Barrett
called our neighbors to let them know we would be bringing Lily up soon and he started
getting the bags re-packed. Every time I left the bathroom I would have to go
back in to avoid getting everything wet. I had already been breathing through
my contractions and focused a lot more on this. Eventually I didn’t leave the
bathroom, I would just move from the toilet to the bathroom stool the back to
the toilet, ha ha. Then while I was on the stool during one contraction so much
water came out that you could audibly hear it dripping onto the rug and floor.
Barrett started laughing from the kitchen, “Oh my heck? Is that your water?” We
were both laughing as my pants got soaked. So Barrett went off to get me new
pants. I don’t remember exactly when Barrett woke Lily up to take her upstairs
but she was so excited that our baby was coming. I remember her talking a
million miles an hour to me when she was going to the bathroom while I sat
there trying to respond to her while focusing on contractions. Around this
point my contractions were getting really close together, between 3-4 minutes.
I think it was when Barrett came back down that I told him he needed to call
the taxi immediately so we would get to the hospital in time. (Yes, we had to
take a taxi. We don’t have a car. We use public transportation always. No, we
never planned on taking a bus, ha ha. So many people kept asking if we were
going to take the bus to the hospital. Can you imagine walking 10 minutes to a
bus stop and waiting for the bus to go through all the stops while you’re in
labor? It was actually kind of nice to take a taxi because then we got dropped
off right at the door, didn’t have to worry about paying to park, etc.) A few
seconds after I said this to him, he poked his head in the bathroom and told me
the taxi app wasn’t working and the number we had written on the mirror by our
front door for this exact moment wasn’t
working either. I just stared at him almost becoming anxious before he
apologized and said not to worry about it, he would figure it out. He must have
figured it out quickly because the taxi was probably there within 10 minutes.
Barrett loaded everything into the car and got the car seat loaded up with an
absorbent pad and a towel. We got into the car and the driver said, “Where are
you going?” I looked at Barrett and said, “You didn’t tell him I am in labor??”
Ha ha! Apparently the person you call does not give an exact location or
details to the driver. The driver got noticeably more nervous and was very
quiet on the drive. I don’t blame him! I got refocused in the car breathing
through my contractions. But with each contraction SO MUCH water kept coming
out. How is there that much water in there? I could feel water up the front, in
the back…. I started getting really nervous that Barrett had not padded me well
enough! We finally made it to the hospital about 10:30 (don’t worry the driver
passed the entrance and I was the one that noticed this and pointed it out,
requiring the driver to make a U-turn on a too small road).
A blurry picture of me in the taxi.
I awkwardly stepped
out of the car holding the huge wad of towel and absorbent pad with one hand in
front of me, one hand behind my butt and started walking to the door. The
driver helped Barrett get the stuff out and then immediately examined his back
seat where I had been sitting. Again, I don’t blame the man. I would be so
nervous about my taxi after watching a woman in labor step out walking like
that! The Stavanger hospital doesn’t have a separate entrance for the labor
ward, so I had to walk past the main entrance to the elevator up to the 7th
floor holding the towel between my legs, ha ha. At this point I started
thinking “Next time I’m doing this at home!” I hate getting all situated and
focused on breathing through the contractions and then having to move and get
re-situated again. So in Norway every other appointment you see your general doctor
and a midwife. But neither of these providers are who delivers the baby. There
are midwives on staff at the hospital with rotating shifts, whose only job is
to deliver babies. Pros and cons to both ways. The midwife assigned to me
smiled a little when she saw my towel and soaking pants and then gave me a huge
pad, commenting that mine obviously wasn’t big enough. The midwife took me to
triage to monitor the contractions and heart rate of the baby. And this is also
where it’s different than the United States. In the US, the last few
appointments leading up to the due date they usually do pelvic exams to see if
you are dilating and thinning. Here they don’t do this unless there is a real
need. I was in the room being monitored for about 25 minutes before she checked
to see how far I was dilated; when she finally checked I was at 8 centimeters.
She seemed a little surprised and then moved me to the birthing room. This
reminded me of Lily’s birth, and what confirms to me that Hypnobirthing works
at helping me stay relaxed. We got into the room and the midwife said “I can’t
tell when you’re having contractions so you’ll have to let me know when you are
ready to push. But he’ll probably arrive in about an hour.” Barrett and I were
a little skeptical at this because I progressed to an 8 with Lily and stayed
there for several hours. However, she was right. I really appreciated the space
the midwife gave me and was motivated that she was confident in letting me
birth on my own. She remained in the room but didn’t really talk until I said I
was ready to push. It didn’t feel like I was in the room very long before I
said I needed to push. When I did she calmly said, “What position would you
like to be in?” Ha ha, I don’t know, just tell me what to do. She suggested a
couple positions when I said “I don’t know” and then the end began quickly. She
coached me through pushing and within 30 minutes (12:48 a.m.) I was holding
Oliver. With Lily I was so exhausted by the end that I hardly remember anything
that happened after she came out. But with Oliver I was so alert and aware of
what was going on. It was amazing! I got to hold him in my arms for a long time
and really soak in the moment. The first thing the midwife said was that he was
definitely bigger than my first baby. And was she right! They weighed him a
little while later, however, we still haven’t fully adjusted to the metric
system, so when she said he was 3990 grams (Lily was 3060 grams) it didn’t mean much.
But Barrett pulled out his phone to convert it and he was over 2 pounds heavier
than Lily! 2 pounds! How is that even possible? Lily was 6 pounds 12 ounces,
19.5 inches, and Oliver was 8 pounds 14 ounces, 20.5 inches! I knew he felt
bigger than Lily at the end, but wow, no wonder he was still kicking my ribs
all the time after he had dropped. The midwife thought I tore, which I was
disappointed about, but after giving me anesthetic and bringing the light over
she said she seen wrong. Yahoo! I only had 1 or 2 stitches with Lily but I knew
I didn’t want to be stitched again.
The first picture we sent everyone of Oliver...showing off his chubby cheeks.
So there are the facts of birthing Oliver, but the laboring
experience is a lot more than this. Without being too much of a preacher for
Hypnobirthing ;), I was fully convinced this time that birth could be pain-free
and fairly easy. Now don’t get me wrong, it takes A LOT of practice and focus
and it’s not something I want to do every day, but I think we are inundated
with too many fears that birth has to be such a hard, painful experience. And
obviously I haven’t had any complications with my babies so I can only speak
from my very small experience, but it is possible to be calm and relaxed during
labor with being numb. After Oliver was born my midwife kept calling me
“clever”. We weren’t really sure what she meant by that, but she said it had
been a long time since she had witnessed a birth like ours, where we were so
relaxed and present. When I got pregnant this time I didn’t really want to
think about labor again. But at 20 weeks I knew I needed to start listening to
my positive affirmations and daily hypnosis tapes if I wanted to be mentally
prepared again. I re-read my Hypnobirthing book and had a great birth
consultation with someone here, who helped me to process my first labor,
presented frank yet positive facts about a second birth, and took me on a tour
of the hospital. I did several fear releases around a long labor and stalling
labor and prepared myself for what I remember being a very rough transition to
the final stages of labor. I even had a couple conversations with Barrett about
whether it was actually possible for me to have an “easy, comfortable” labor
this time around or if it was something to be achieved eventually, trying to
get better and better at each labor. Barrett helped me reframe how if I really
believed what Marie Mongan taught with Hypnobirthing, then I should be able to
achieve this in every labor. All of it must have helped prepare for such a
positive labor with Oliver. After my water broke I could tell my contractions
were getting stronger, but I was still able to talk and joke with Barrett in between
the contractions. And again, after I went into the birthing room I could tell
my contractions were even stronger, but I wouldn’t say that I was in all this
pain. Pushing is definitely more uncomfortable and I was nervous about how long
it would take, because I was pushing for an hour and a half with Lily (and the
first baby is always different) but even with how big Oliver was, it was
relatively quick with no tearing. It really was everything I had hoped for. Thank
you Marie Mongan for teaching me that my body is meant to birth! I also felt
grateful to be in Norway for this birth because I didn’t have the skepticism of
having a “natural birth” here. It is uncommon in the US (although I think it is
becoming more common again), but here it is the unstated expectation to have a
drug-free birth, with the epidurals and C-sections on a completely different
floor. Again, I AM NOT judging anyone for however they choose to have their
babies. I think a choice should be made on what will be best and safest for the
baby and what will help the woman feel most relaxed to bring the baby into the
world. A calm beginning however it is done is better than a fearful, tense
beginning, if that is possible. All I am saying from my experience is that I
have learned my body was meant to birth and also that it can birth without
terrible pain. I am so grateful for Oliver’s great birth and look forward to
all the rest of my labors going as smoothly.
Woah, sorry for all the detail. Hopefully it wasn't too boring. If you made it to the end of this post, here are some more pictures from the first few hours.
The lights were dimmed in the room so the pictures in the birthing room are really blurry. But at least we have some to document it.
You stay in the delivery room for 2 hours here before they move you to your hotel room, so you have time to bond with your baby.
They also bring apple juice and a Norwegian flag to the room to celebrate. I think this is a fun tradition!
Another fun part of this hospital is the quilt they have on the wall to mark all the babies that have been born that month. Pink pins for girls and blue pins for boys. The dad's get to put the pin in for your baby.
Oliver was the first baby born on the 19th.
I have more pictures from the hospital and Lily coming to meet Oliver that I'll save for the next post.












2 comments:
Congrats! Love the story! I am a firm believe of Hypnobirthing too! It is so empowering to give birth naturally! Makes you feel like you can do anything! Way to go!
Congrats! He's such a cute little guy! Love to all of you.
Post a Comment